Thursday, October 1, 2015

Poll Results: Blade vs. Mallet

I’ve said and posted “Drive for show and putt for dough” more times than I count. Sure, being long off the tee is impressive, but strokes are gained and saved on the green. Putting is of utmost importance.

So what putter is the best? That’s impossible to answer and even more difficult to pose in a poll question that allows for only five options. There are, seemingly, as many putters as there are golfers!

Needing to phrase the question differently, I asked the Google+ Golf Community, “Blade vs. Mallet ... Which do you play?”

The answers are still pouring in, but at the time of writing, Blade is ahead of Mallet by a 56 percent to 44 percent.

I had a generic Bullseye-style putter in high school and made EVERYTHING. I was goofing around one day and the neck snapped. I swear it wasn’t in a fit of rage.

I moved onto my first “expensive” putter - a $60 Spaulding - and continued success for another couple years. Once I stopped making EVERYTHING, I began to experiment with other putters. That’s when all Hell broke loose and my putting hasn’t been the same since.

Again, there are too many brands and models to name, but, judging by the comments, many seem to prefer putters by Scotty Cameron and Odyssey.

+Derek Ross said, “I still use my Ping Anser 2 putter that I received as a birthday present 20 years ago. I love that putter.”

If it ain’t broke ... Don’t fix it! (I wish I would’ve followed this years ago)

+Rather Golfing transitioned from blade to mallet and, seemingly, has had mixed results. “I enjoy the mallet a lot more. I tried to go back to blade, but I found the control of the mallet to be much easier.”

+frank hoxsey touched upon an interesting point when sharing the fact that he plays the Mizuno TPM 3. “Classic looks and excellent feel. Putting confidence comes from looks, ‘feel’ and sound.”

I find it funny how much of a factor sound is when putting. It can really make or break a putter for me.

Hoxsey expanded, “I know my putt is solid based on the sound. My putter gives me that sound. I've played similar putters and mallets, but none of them make ‘that sound.’”

+Vipul Gidda, who plays an Edel blade, had a little fun with the sound comment. “If you play the muni courses that I play, all you hear is the sound of traffic and someone yelling ‘fore!’ as they drive by! Wish I could hear ‘that sound’ you talk about!”

Blades have a customer for life in +skpknight. “I use a blade. I really want an old Wilson Staff 8802, but I am putting so well with my old Scotty Newport that I hate to give it up. But I have always been, and will remain, a blade guy.”

Stick to it!

+Michael Howell had a helpful tip. “Most mallets are face balanced putters. My putting stroke is straight back and straight forward, therefore I need a face balanced putter. Check your putting stroke and match your putter to it ... makes a big difference!”

I had to dig up a little on +Stuart Holcroft when I read his comment. “You'll always struggle with ‘clutch’ or ‘must-make’ putts if you don't have a putter that fits your swing. Sometimes you get away with it, but if you get a custom fit putter - you're on the way to being awesome on the short grass.”

From the UK, Howell runs Fearless Putting Ltd. and works with people to overcome all sorts of fears.

Remember +skpknight, who plays an expensive Scotty Cameron? He had a response to Holcroft. “A custom fit putter. Heck, I can't afford custom fitted irons.”

Since he’s a former a member of the Royal Air Force, I’ll give Holcroft the last word: “When it comes to the difference between winning and losing matches, a putter matched to your swing will give you the edge. Irons get you close, the correct putter gets you results.”

No comments: