The experts at Golfbreaks.com offer their most time-tested tips for booking an international golf trip, including the 2016 Open Championship at Royal Troon
(CHARLESTON, SC) — With a new PGA Tour season underway, golf fans are again watching the world’s best compete at the game’s most storied venues. In July 2016, golf’s oldest major championship, the Open Championship, returns for the ninth time to Royal Troon Golf Club in Ayrshire, Scotland. For those interested in attending this historic event, the golf travel specialists at Golfbreaks.com are well versed in not only booking trips to Scotland and many of the world’s other fine golf destinations, they can also assist with packages to the Open Championship - http://usa.golfbreaks.com/vacations/the-open/
Golfbreaks.com are the experts in UK & Ireland golf travel, and here are their “Top 5 Tips for Booking 2016 Trips”:
1) Book now: At least 6-12 months in advance in order to secure tee times at the more prestigious courses. Also, many accommodations offered in the hot spots of Scotland and Ireland are relatively small and traditional B&B’s, which don’t have many rooms, so you need to book early for the peak summer months. Finally, flights from the US to the UK become available 11 months in advance, so now is the time to get the best flight deals for next spring and summer.
2) Use a specialist golf travel company: With established relationships on the ground and specialist knowledge, they will get you the best bang for your buck while also removing the stress of organizing such a trip. And consider hiring a car to have a real sense of adventure. There are many moving parts to organizing a successful golf trip across the pond, so it’s important to get accurate, impartial advice and the inside scoop on where to play and when. Equally important is to have the additional support on the ground, to take care of any questions, hiccups and itinerary changes along the way.
3) Don’t try and do too much in one trip: Seven nights with five rounds or 10 nights with 7-8 rounds are perfect, while staying in one area or two neighboring areas. Although distances are not great in the UK & Ireland — Golfbreaks.com packages are created with a maximum one-hour drive time to any course from base typically — often roads are slow and travel times longer than expected. Trying to fit too much in and cover whole countries in a short space of time can be stressful.
4) Best time to go is April-October: Although the British climate is mostly mild with temperatures reaching 70F or more in the summer months it can also be unpredictable. Therefore come expecting all seasons on a trip and pack accordingly. To enjoy British golf you need to be dressed for it. Bring lots of layers as you can often find yourself playing in four seasons in just one round. A spare pair of golf shoes is also recommended in case you get caught in a shower the day before. It’s good fun, but make sure you are dressed for it and prepared all occasions.
5) It's not all about the big names: There are so many wonderful golf courses to play and most visitors just want to play the big names. This becomes quite expensive. So we would advise a mixture of big names with hidden gems … Open Championship qualifying courses for example. Some of your most memorable experiences will be at the truly authentic local courses as opposed to the more “corporate” big names.
- St Andrews Old Course plus New, Jubilee, Crail, Elie - http://usa.golfbreaks.com/vacations/st-andrews-jubilee-crail-elie/
- Ballybunion plus Killarney, Dooks, Dingle - http://usa.golfbreaks.com/vacations/killarney-dooks-dingle/
- Birkdale plus West Lancs, Southport & Ainsdale, Hesketh - http://usa.golfbreaks.com/vacations/southport-ainsdale-wallasey-and-west-lancashire/
- Royal Troon plus Western Gailes, Dundonald Links, Irvine Bogside - http://usa.golfbreaks.com/vacations/dundonald-links-gailes-links-western-gailes/
Now, anyone booking a golf vacation to the United Kingdom and Ireland for themselves and at least three others will receive a free Callaway Big Bertha Driver. All that participants need to do is inquire for the vacation by November 30 by contacting one of Golfbreaks.com’s expert sales advisers via the phone or through the website (USA.Golfbreaks.com). If you then go on to book the trip to the UK or Ireland for four or more golfers, you will receive a free Callaway driver.
Learn more about 2016 golf packages and the free Callaway Big Bertha Driver at (855) 699-5853 or USA.Golfbreaks.com.