Wednesday, October 28, 2015

GCAA interview with Grant Leaver, 2015 Woodcreek Classic Champion

(RELEASE) - The Golf Coaches Association of America (GCAA), in cooperation with its long-time corporate partner, the Swing Thought Professional Golf Tour (formerly the NGA Hooters Tour), features a monthly Q&A with former collegians who have played on or are currently playing on the Swing Thought Tour. Long considered the premier developmental tour in the United States, thousands of former college players have started their professional careers there with hundreds going on to play on the PGA TOUR.

This month we spoke with former Austin Peay golfer Grant Leaver, a three-time All Ohio Valley Conference player and winner of the 2015 Woodcreek Classic on the Swing Thought Tour.

GCAA: At what age did you start playing golf? At what point did you realize you wanted to play golf professionally?

Leaver: I started playing at age 11. I would say it was around the age of 14 that I knew I could play professionally if I worked hard.

GCAA: You played collegiately at Austin Peay. What about your time playing in college do you think has helped you the most as a professional?

Leaver: College was a grind for me. I was avery good ball striker but I was good at putting a round together. That’s probably the best thing I learned…that even if it isn’t pretty I could still compete.

GCAA: Is there something you know now that you wish you had known when playing collegiate golf?

Leaver: I wish I knew how to practice putting and how to use wedges properly. I was pretty good in college but no where close to where I am now with short game and that’s largely in part to knowing how to practice and what to practice on.

GCAA: What was your favorite part of playing golf in college?

Leaver: Going on the road to compete was much more fun having a team. I would say that was the best part of college golf and much like every other sport- the friendships that were built.

GCAA: Earlier this fall you picked up a win at the Swing Thought Tour’s Woodcreek Classic in a sudden death playoff. Is your approach to the way you play any different when you are in a sudden death situation like that?

Leaver: Yes but no. You must still make decisions that you are comfortable with but at the same time not shy away from hitting the shot that will win the hole.

GCAA: What are some of your best memories of your time on the Swing Thought Tour?

Leaver: The wins stand out of course. But looking back and recognizing what you do in order to play the game you love is humbling. They may not be the best memories all the time but they define part of who I am.

To read the Full Interview, click HERE.

For more information on the GCAA, visit www.collegiategolf.com.

For more information on the new Swing Thought Tour, visit SwingThought.com or call 800-992-8748. Follow on Twitter @SwingThought and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/swingthought.

No comments: