Saturday, October 24, 2015

Fall Golf: Mayfield (OH) Country Club

I love golfing in the fall. Truth be told, I love playing any time I get a chance. Playing solo in my most recent round at Mayfield (OH) Country Club allowed me the opportunity to take some pictures in between shots. You may have seen one or two on Twitter or Instagram, but I thought I'd share them all in one public place - the blog.
This first image is from the No. 4 tee. The 196-yard par 3 plays about 10 yards shorter than the card says and bunkers guard left, front and right of the green. Miss the bunker on the right and your ball is dead. Heavy rough makes anything off the green difficult, while the two-tiered green is no picnic.

The sky was a brilliant blue and the autumn leaves popped in shades of red, orange and yellow. I wish I had my Nikon SLR with me for better images.
This is a look down the fifth fairway to the green. The No. 1 handicap hole is a 420-yard par 4 with fairway bunkers down the left and one in the landing zone on the right. More troublesome is the creek running down the right side, all the way past the green. Speaking of the green … It's long and narrow with no room the miss left, right or behind. On the green or short are your only hopes for par or better.
Again, I wish I had a better camera with me. The orange tree in the background (view from the 7th green across to the 6th fairway) was beautiful.
The walk down the hill at the par 3 13th may be my favorite on the course. Tucked in a valley, both sides of the green are heavily bunkered, but who cares when you can enjoy this view?
I managed to par the par-4 16th from this divot in the fairway, which came with my best drive of the day. As I said on Instagram … You take the good with the bad.

No comments: