You've seen Tiger Woods hit his patented, wind-cheating stinger shot and marveled at Phil Mickelson's famous flop shot. The seamless way Bubba Watson stripes a 350-yard drive that bisects the fairway and Rory McIlroy attacks pins from the fairway with perfect precision have left you awed. But what may surprise you is that none of these shots are secrets.
In PLAY LIKE A PRO (Time Home Entertainment Inc., 2013; $29.95, Hardcover), Golf Magazine analyzes the techniques and moves of these superstars and makes them accessible to the average player.
It's a proven fact that watching an ideal role model is a ticket to accelerated improvement. In PLAY LIKE A PRO, you'll find all the essential moves the PGA Tour's best players and learn how to incorporate them into your game. Along the way, you'll be guided by Golf Magazine's Top 100 Teachers—the nation's most elite group of golf instructors—who share their time-tested and game-tested tips on how to understand it all.
The book follows in the accomplished footsteps of Golf Magazine's acclaimed series of lesson manuals that offer specialized instruction of every facet of the game—from driving to putting to basic skills—and showcases each player's signature skill in vivid, accessible detail.
"The connection between amateur and professional is stronger in golf than any other sport, but how do Tour players get to plus-6 indexes playing the toughest courses in the world when you and I can't break 80 on a course that is more than 1,000 yards shorter? This is a question we wanted to address with PLAY LIKE A PRO," said David DeNunzio, Golf Magazine's managing editor for instruction.
"Yes, practice and natural talent play a big part, but there's more to it than that. Pros have the closely-held secrets to full-swing and short-game success that the majority of golfers never get the chance to learn. That's where this book will come in handy. And with Golf Magazine's Top 100 Teachers making sense of it all, this is a proven way to improve your game."
Every key skill and discipline is addressed in PLAY LIKE A PRO. As you move through the book, you'll discover the secrets to how:
• Bubba Watson generates otherworldly swing speed
• Graeme McDowell splits fairways with machine-like regularity
• Justin Rose improved his iron play and led the PGA Tour in Greens in Regulation in 2012
• Sergio Garcia developed into the best ball-striker of his generation
• Luke Donald transformed into a Houdini of the sand when it comes to escaping from bunkers
• Matt Kuchar became a wizard from 40 yards and in
• Phil Mickelson hits that remarkable flop shot
• Brandt Snedeker developed the control and tempo to become the best putter on Tour
• Louis Oosthuizen's textbook setup fixes problems before they start
• Rory McIlroy employs his entire body to maximum effect
• Adam Scott's and Ernie Els' full swings and tempos provide effortless power
• Tiger Woods executes his legendary stinger
Along with quotes from the pros on their signature skill, PLAY LIKE A PRO includes hundreds of color photos and easy-to-follow lessons and drills from Golf Magazine's Top 100 Teachers that explain and illustrate each concept. In addition, PLAY LIKE A PRO also features Scan-It/See-It technology that seamlessly connect you to 65 instruction videos via your smartphone or tablet that bring these crucial moves to life.
GOLF MAGAZINE: PLAY LIKE A PRO
By GOLF Magazine's Top 100 Teachers
Edited and Introduction by David DeNunzio, Managing Editor-Instruction, Golf Magazine
Publisher: Time Home Entertainment Inc.
$29.95, Hardcover, ISBN: 978-1-60320-239-8