Monday, August 3, 2015

Product Review: Nike Method Matter Putters

Blade or mallet? Mallet or blade? I’ve been golfing long enough to try many (MANY) of each. I might like the look of one, but not the feel ... or the weight of another, but not the look.

It’s basically comparing apples and oranges with so many differences. Every putter is so unique. Because I’ve traditionally putted with blades, that’s what I tend to stick with. Have I really given mallets an honest chance?

Thanks to Nike Golf, I finally tested the “same” putter - one blade and one mallet - and have come to a conclusion (more on that later).

The test subjects ... Nike Method Matter M5-12 and B2-01 (“M” for mallet and “B” for blade).

First, the similarities:
* Both putters feature an RZN groove insert. This softens feel and delivers faster forward roll;
* Both heads are made from 304 stainless steel - also known as A2 stainless steel. This also softens the feel;
* Also, a length-specific head weight relocates weight to the perimeter, further increasing stability; and
* Lastly, both feature a Matter Midsize grip

In the “same-but-different” category comes Nike Golf’s RTS system that aids in selecting a putter that will "return to square" at impact based on your stoke type.

My stroke type? I had never really thought about that. I’ve always played K.I.S.S. golf (Keep It Simple, Stupid) ... See ball, hit ball. Find ball, hit ball again. They’re referring to whether you putt with an arc or straight down the line.

RTS for the M5-12 (L) and B2-01 (R)
That brings me to the differences:
* The M5-12 is designed for straight stroke type and it has a double bend steel shaft; and
* The B2-01 is designed for slight arc stroke type and has a straight steel shaft

My conclusion: I love the look and feel of the M5-12, but I’m not confident in the straight stroke required to get the most out of this mallet. While I was making plenty of putts on the practice green, my “new” stroke didn’t hold up under pressure. The B2-01, however, felt great from beginning to end. The alignment was a breeze and the ball came off the face consistently.

In the end, there’s probably a good reason I tent to gravitate toward blade putters and always will ... until the next mallet catches my eye.

Check out the complete line of Method Matter putters HERE. There are six models from which to choose, each coming with a $129 price point.

-Repost-

No comments: