Network Posts Consecutive Most-Watched Major Championship Weeks for The Open and PGA Championship
(ORLANDO, Fla.) – Golf Channel served nearly 8 million unique viewers across PGA Championship week (+8% YOY), which is the second most-viewed total since 2010. Driven by Golf Central’s Live From The PGA Championship coverage from Monday through Sunday, Golf Channel also posted its most-watched week ever for the PGA Championship, with 107,000 average viewers per minute for 24-hour Total Day (6AM-6AM). Coverage peaked at 410,000 average viewers on Thursday from 1:45-2 p.m. ET and 456,000 average viewers on Friday from 1:30-1:45 p.m. ET. Overall for the week, viewership was up 6% YOY and 5% vs. 2013, as well as +27% vs. the historical average (84,000) for this week (2006-2014), according to data released by The Nielsen Company.
Last week, three respective days set new marks for most-watched day during the week of the PGA Championship, including Tuesday (95,000), Thursday (149,000) and Friday (147,000). And Sunday’s 121,000 average viewers was the second most-watched Sunday for Golf Channel at the PGA Championship, trailing only 2006 (129,000).
ADDITIONAL VIEWERSHIP NOTES: THE PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
- Golf Central’s Live From The PGA Championship, which was presented by Omega and Mercedes, featured nearly 60 hours of news and analysis throughout the week.
- Golf Channel’s most-watched PGA Championship week follows the same record set for The Open Championship week, after posting second most-watched weeks for The Masters, PLAYERS Championship, and U.S. Open in 2015.
- Morning Drive was up 5% vs. 2014 for the week.
- The Golf Fix on Monday from 6-7 PM ET featuring 2012 PGA Teacher of the Year and Golf Channel host Michael Breed live from the range at Whistling Straits was up 84% vs. The Golf Fix from the 2014 PGA Championship.
GOLF CHANNEL DIGITAL POSTS RECORD TRAFFIC ACROSS KEY PLATFORMS AND METRICS:
Golf Channel Digital via GolfChannel.com and Golf Channel Mobile App posted record traffic for the week of The PGA Championship, according to Adobe Site Catalyst:
- 32 million page views (+13% YOY) – Best PGA Championship Week ever
- 2.0 million visitors (+16% YOY) – Best PGA Championship Week ever
- 1.8 million video starts (+54% YOY) – Best PGA Championship Week ever
Additionally, Golf Live Extra streaming of Golf Central Live From the PGA Championship generated 1.73 million minutes watched (+41% YOY).