Thursday, August 13, 2015

Tee Poll: Wood Wins

In a recent poll on Google+, we asked what type of tee golfers use most. Not surprised, the majority prefer wood (55 percent). I was, however, surprised that 28 percent of golfers didn’t care - using whatever they pull out of their bag. Rounding out the field were “performance” tees (17 percent).

Personally, I prefer the Epoch tee from Evolve Golf. While they’re designed to reduce friction and eliminate deflection, I like the fact that they’re biodegradable, gentler on mower blades and more durable than wood. I can play a round with just one or two. I lose them more often than break them. Plus, they come in four heights - from 1.5” to 3.25”.

That said, there’s something almost romantic about a classic, wooden tee. So much has gone high-tech over the years. Today’s wooden tee is pretty much the same tee my grandfather used in the 50s and 60s. They, too, have grown to accommodate today’s massive driver heads, however.

With the poll, I was amused to read some of the comments. +Jeremy Black wrote about not upsetting the Golf Gods by using only white or natural wood tees. +Katherine Cornelius uses the environmentally friendly (non-wood) tees with her driver, but only short, green, wood tees on par 3s. She also collects tees that look exactly like the ones she uses.

No comments: