Sandia ranked among top 100 Resort courses and top 50 Casino courses nationwide
(ALBUQUERQUE, NEW MEXICO) – Sandia Golf Club made Golfweek’s Best Courses ranking in two categories, Resort courses and Casino courses, coming in No. 100 and No. 19 respectively.
As defined by Golfweek, course-ranking panelists apply the following criteria when considering each golf course:
1. Ease and intimacy of routing - The extent to which the sequence of holes follows natural contours and unfolds in an unforced manner.
2A. Integrity of original design (Classic) - The extent to which subsequent changes are compatible with the original design and enhance the course rather than undermine or weaken it.
2B. Quality of feature shaping (Modern) - The extent to which the land’s features have been enhanced though earthmoving and shaping to form a landscape that suits the game and has aesthetic/thematic coherence.
3. Natural setting and overall land plan - Quality and aesthetic relationship of golf course, clubhouse, cart paths and other facility features to surrounding structures and native scenery.
4. Interest of greens and surrounding contours - Shotmaking demands on and around the putting surfaces.
5. Variety and memorability of par 3s - Different clubs hit; different terrain; different looks.
6. Variety and memorability of par 4s - The extent to which the angles of play, varied terrain and left-to-right/right-to-left shots create interesting and varied playing options.
7. Variety and memorability of par 5s - The extent to which holes offer a variety of options from the tee and on the second shot as well as risk/reward possibilities.
8. Basic quality of conditioning - Variety of playing textures; extent of turf coverage; consistency and quality of bunker sand; delineation of tees/fairways/roughs/collars and chipping areas (beyond day-to-day changes because of weather, aerification, overseeding or repairs).
9. Landscape and tree management - The extent to which trees and any floral features complement or enhance rather than impose and intrude upon the ground features, and the playing options of the course.
10. “Walk in the park” test -The degree to which the course ultimately is worth spending a half-day on as a compelling outdoor experience.
Located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, Sandia Resort & Casino features an award winning golf experience that offers a visually stunning and strategic 18 hole golf course designed by Scott Miller, complete practice facility and a 16,000 square foot “Pueblo” style clubhouse featuring restaurant, golf shop and expansive patio. The golf club at Sandia is a key amenity to the Sandia Resort & Casino that is already a popular gaming and entertainment venue. In 2006, Sandia opened a world-class resort that features 228 luxurious, oversized guest rooms including over 30 suites. Every guest room and suite are highlighted by awe-inspiring views of the Albuquerque skyline or the rugged wildness of the Sandia Mountains.
The award-winning Sandia Golf Club was ranked 4 ½ stars out of a total possible rating of five stars by Golf Digest’s “Best Places You Can Play” and has garnered a number of other national awards including “Development of the Year” by Golf Inc Magazine, Top 100 Golf Shops in The Country, Golf World Business, Top 100 Resort course rankings by Golfweek Magazine and being selected as one of the Top 10 Best New Courses In The Country by Golf Magazine.
The golf facility at Sandia Resort & Casino is professionally managed by OB Sports Golf Management, a diversified, golf-oriented company with a long history of success. OB Sports currently manages 45 premier golf courses and country clubs throughout the United States. Known for its comprehensive and personalized services since 1972, OB Sports has become widely acclaimed as the leader in boutique-style golf course management. For more information on OB Sports, visit www.obsports.com or call (480) 948-1300. You can become a Fan of OB Sports on Facebook at www.facebook.com/obsports, follow OB Sports on Twitter at www.twitter.com/OBSportsGolf or visit the OB Sports You Tube channel at www.youtube.com/obsportsgolf.
For information about the Sandia Resort & Casino visit www.sandiacasino.com or call 877.272.9199.
For more information on Sandia Golf Club visit www.sandiagolf.com or call 505.798.3990.