Ice Tee Tournament Rescheduled for Feb. 26; 2012 Golf-A-Round Card Now Available
(POCONO MOUNTAINS, PA.) – The 2012 Ice Tee Tournament, a family-friendly nine-hole golf event scheduled for Jan. 29 in the Pocono Mountains (www.poconosgolf.com), has been postponed due to soft ice conditions and has been rescheduled for Feb. 26 at Lake Wallenpaupack.
Tee times are still available and spectators are also welcome for the 21st edition of the Ice Tee event, located at Ehrhardt’s Restaurant in the Lake Region of the Pocono Mountains. More than 300 golfers of all ages and handicaps are expected to compete for prizes and giveaways, including awards for lowest score and closest to the pin contests. Two nine-hole challenging courses will be created in 2012, complete with tree-lined fairways, greens, water traps, obstacles and rough.
Last year’s 20th-anniversary field included a record 352 golfers, each of whom received a colored golf ball and scorecard with the course layout. Competitors are limited to their choice of two clubs, plus a putter, to play the course, with fairways lined by recycled Christmas trees.
Tee times will be every 10 minutes between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., with the awards ceremony scheduled for approximately 3 p.m. The cost to participate is $15 per golfer in advance or $20 at the door. Applications are available at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 570.226.3191.
2012 Golf-A-Round Card On Sale Now
The 2012 Golf-A-Round Card, which features tremendous discounts for eight courses, is now available.
Each card costs $40 and is good for the entire 2012 golf season. Cardholders can play twice per season for $25 a round with cart at each of the following participating courses: Fernwood Golf Course, Hideaway Hills Golf Club, Jack Frost National Golf Club, Mount Airy Golf Club, Pocono Manor Inn & Golf Course, Shawnee Inn and Golf Resort, Split Rock Resort & Golf Club and Woodloch Springs Country Club.
Cards can be purchased now by calling 800.POCONOS (800.762.6667).
Fernwood Resort Purchased, Course Stays With Previous Owner
Commercial developer Jim Ertle and his family have purchased the Fernwood Hotel and Convention Center in Bushkill, with immediate plans to completely renovate the food-and-beverage areas, and revive the hotel and convention center.
The Bushkill Group, which owned the resort, will retain ownership of the golf course, the snow-tubing hill and 600-plus time-share units. Both groups will sell golf packages and cross-promote each other.
The ownership division is designed to benefit the facility long-term, allowing more management focus on the resort’s varied activities.
Pocono Mountains Upcoming Family Events and Specials
Banking on its tremendous 2011 success, Mount Airy Golf Club will reinstate its Golf & Slot specials every Tuesday during golf season in 2012. For $40 and golfers will receive 18 holes and a cart, in addition to $40 in slot money at the resort’s casino.
While golf is still a few months away, family winter activities in the Pocono Mountains are in full gear, including:
* Eagle Watches: Monroe County Environmental Education Center will offer field trips to the upper Delaware River in search of resident and wintering bald eagles on Jan. 20 and 27. Cost is $20/non-MCEEC members, $14/members (570.629.3061). Participants will meet at MCEEC at 8:30 a.m. and return at 5:30 p.m. Other area Eagle Watches include the Annual Bald Eagle Field Trip with the Eagle Institute at Promised Land State Park (Jan. 21; 570.676.9969) and Eagle Watch I at Pocono Environmental Education Center (Jan. 28; 570.828.2319).
* Crystal Cabin Fever – Lakeville, Pa., is home to the Sculpted Ice Works Factory, which hosts an annual ice carving and competition each February with an annual theme. See full log cabins made of ice blocks, slide on ice slides, sip a frosty beverage at the ice bars and more. Feb. 10-26. Admission is $10. See 800poconos.com for information or call 570.226.6246.
* Ski Shawnee Winter Carnival – This Feb. 26 outdoor festival for the entire family includes ice sculptures, demonstrations, outdoor barbecue and live entertainment. Combine with a day of snow tubing on the Pocono plunge. See 800poconos.com for information.
* Inn at Pocono Manor – The newly renovated Inn at Pocono Manor’s Ski Camelback Package – available seven days a week based on weather conditions through March 31 – includes an all-day lift ticket at Camelback Mountain Resort (skiing, snow tubing and snowboarding available), guest room accommodations and full breakfast buffet. Discount ski rental vouchers are also available. Rates start from $230 per package, per night, based on double adult occupancy, taxes and gratuities included, Sunday through Thursday (from $263 Friday through Sunday).
* Woodloch Resort – The Ski ‘N’ Stay Weekend Package at Woodloch Resort – available Friday through Sunday from Jan. 20-Feb. 5 – includes spacious and immaculate accommodations, one full-day Ski Big Bear lift ticket per person, per night; two-meal plan (breakfast and the family-style dinner included daily), endless activities and amenities and family-friendly nightly entertainment. Rates start at $340 per adult, per package, based on double occupancy. A two-night minimum stay is required.
See www.poconosgolf.com for a complete list of golf courses, resorts and activities; or view interactive planning map and live webcams throughout the Pocono Mountains at www.800poconos.com.