Thursday, September 3, 2015

Poll Results - Hybrids vs. Long Irons

Considering the audience, I thought the hybrid vs. long iron poll was going to end in a one-sided vote. Hybrids have been shown to be much easier for amateur and recreational golfers to hit, after all.

Even the manufacturers have taken note - often removing the 3- and 4-irons from their sets entirely, replacing them with hybrids.

All that said, hybrids “only” edged long irons in our unscientific poll by a 56-44 percent margin.

Personally, I carry a 2, 3 and 4 hybrid - all from Adams. Not only have I gained 5-10 yards over their iron counterparts, but I’ve also become much more consistent and accurate.

Several years ago, I was playing in a scramble with high-handicap friends. On a par 5, they were either out of play or in terrible shape. My tee shot found a fairway bunker, but only 220 yards from the green. We had to take my drive. None of their shots were great out of the bunker, but my hybrid from there found the front of the green. One of my buddies said “I need to get one of those,” referring to the club. I jokingly told him it takes a little practice, too. The club, alone, didn’t get us on the green.

Fast forward to present time and he’s a HUGE proponent of hybrids. It didn’t take much to convince him and they’ve helped him lower his handicap considerably.

Comments on the poll varied wildly, as you would imagine.

Linden Franks said, “I cannot find a hybrid that I can hit as well as I do my 2 and 3 irons.”

Ricky Potts responded with, “Linden Franks then you are in the 1%.”

Franks defended his love for irons: “I may be in that 1% Ricky; however, I can still rifle a laser 2 or 3 iron onto the green with yardage between 180-210, which is not too bad for a 66 year old? I have tried hybrids and rescue woods but just cannot seem to find one that fits my game. I have tried Adams, Taylormade, Ping, and Callaway to no avail. I have tested 2 hybrids as well as 3's.”

Tim Walker had a good reason for sticking with his long irons. “I prefer playing the long iron because hybrids remind me too much of fairway woods and for the life of me, I can't hit fairway woods.”

Logical.

Google+ regular skpknight plays hybrids, but likes irons. “I still prefer the long irons, but it seems more sets come with at least a three or 4 hybrid. For the record, I have Adams 3 and 4 hybrids, I hit the 3 fairly well, but I refer to the 4 as a ‘lost cause’ because I never know where it will go, or how far I hit it when I use it. It is the least popular club in my bag and if I am ever able to buy new irons, I want at least a 4 iron.”

Darrell Williams, who may have given up golf recently, is a fan of hybrids. “I LOVE MY Hybrids!!!! I’m not a long hitter but I hit them so solid, 3h (190), 4h (180), 5h (170) and sometimes a 6h (160 ) they are  4-year-old Adams V3's, they still have some sharp grooves and still stick on the greens, and many times I can back a ball up with them. Only one problem I have is I can not knock them down ... I pull hook the crap out of them when I try! 

Google+ user aidan maltby thinks “better” players should play irons, but likes hybrids. “Hybrids are easier to hit, but if you’re a more advanced player, long irons will give more precise shots.”

Darrell Williams took exception to that,” aidan maltby I am a 9HC and would rather play hybrids as I am more confident with them then a long iron, and the guys I play with can't believe how well I hit them, and I am more accurate than them with their long irons! And my ball comes in high and soft, hit and stick, or a bounce back about a foot! I think it’s what a person likes and can make perform for their swing.”

In the end, it comes down to what’s best for your game, of course. With any club - from driver to putter - if you have no confidence in the club you’re playing, the shot will most likely fail.

No comments: