Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Suzann Pettersen Opens Up on Golf Channel in Her First Interview Following the Solheim Cup

Pettersen Discusses the 17th Hole Controversy and the Aftermath with Tim Rosaforte

(ORLANDO, Fla.) – In her first interview following the 2015 Solheim Cup that featured a controversy at the conclusion of the Saturday Fourball matches, European Solheim Cup participant Suzann Pettersen sits down with Golf Channel insider Tim Rosaforte to discuss the controversy and the aftermath in an exclusive interview airing on Golf Central, Wednesday at 6 p.m. ET.

The interview, which also will post online at GolfChannel.com, takes place at Pettersen’s home in Orlando, Fla.

Topics discussed during the interview:
- Revisiting the moments that sparked the controversy during the conclusion of the Saturday Fourball matches early Sunday morning, when Alison Lee picked up her ball before the putt was conceded.

- The timeline of events that took place Sunday night following the conclusion of the Solheim Cup, which included emotional conversations with her teammates, Michelle Wie, and phone conversations with Phil Mickelson and Butch Harmon.

- The conversation Pettersen had with U.S. Captain Juli Inkster Monday morning prior to departing Germany.

- Pettersen’s apology that she issued on Instagram on Monday morning following the Solheim Cup.

- Lessons learned from the controversy.

Team U.S.A defeated Team Europe in St. Leon-Rot, Germany, 14.5 to 13.5, marking the largest Sunday comeback in Solheim Cup history. The 2015 LPGA Tour season continues next week on Golf Channel with the start of Asian swing, beginning with the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia, Oct. 8-11.

Notable Quotes from the Interview:
Pettersen – “I never won a point that I felt so bad in my entire life. I feel like it just took away the greatness of the Solheim, which I think is the best competition there is for women’s golf.”

Pettersen – “One of the first players to reach out to me was Phil [Mickelson] on Sunday night. I don’t know how I can thank him enough for the words and hours on the phone – the good and bad...He asked me some critical questions, and I had to answer them.”

Pettersen – “Carlota Ciganda took me aside [Sunday night] and asked, ‘How are you doing?’ I just absolutely fell apart. I’m usually the big sister trying to encourage them to do well. I just couldn’t hold it back because I felt like I could have done stuff so differently and put the game of golf in a different light.”

Pettersen – “I don’t want to really apologize for what happened, but I want to apologize for the way I handled the situation. I can only talk for myself. I feel like we all have to take responsibility for how we can grow this game to a better game and leave the game better for the kids…I tried to reflect as well as I could over the last week to kind of see how at least I could have done stuff differently to leave the game in a better spot.”

Pettersen – “I still have not talked to Alison [Lee] but she will be the first people I will reach out to once we get to Asia and I can see her in person. Hopefully we can move on very quickly. It’s definitely on my agenda when I get to Asia to see her and talk to her.”

No comments: