Friday, September 4, 2015

Poll: Your Favorite Mode of Transportation

What’s your favorite way to get around a golf course? I asked that question on Google+ and a lot of people shared their preference.

Viewing the results, it’s safe to say that people don’t want to place additional physical activity upon their round, as only 24 percent said they liked the carry their clubs.

So what’s the preferred means of transportation? It’s a tie between a push/pull cart and riding - knotted at 36 percent.

I get the attraction of riding - climbing hills can be a round killer and you receive the added benefit of having a place to sit when/if the course gets backed up with golfers. Swinging a club over and over can be a drain and riding certainly saves your energy.

I don’t really understand the draw of a pull cart, however. Sure, you don’t have to carry your clubs, but pulling a cart around for 4 hours can be just as difficult.

If you’ve done the math, you’re probably wondering what the remaining voters enjoy? Caddies. Granted, caddies aren’t available at most courses, so not everyone has the opportunity to have someone else carry their clubs.

Personally, I prefer carrying my bag. I’ve got a lightweight stand bag from Nike Golf that makes toting it around a breeze. I like to hit the gym 4-5 times a week and feel as if carrying my bag is a nice replacement for the gym. I feel guilty if I skip the gym to golf and ride.

Also, I rarely play my best golf while riding in a cart. I chalk it up to the speed of the game. There’s not much time between shots - either to get a bad shot out of your head or mentally prepare for the next shot. You’re also likely to zig-zag down the fairway going between your shot and your playing partner’s.

Oddly enough, as I write this article, I’m coming off a morning round in which I took a caddie. Perhaps it’s my middle class upbringing, but I don’t feel comfortable having someone else carry my clubs and rake my bunkers. Pull carts aren’t permitted at my club, which makes taking a caddie my last choice. I took one today because I joined a group of friends who had already scheduled their round with caddies.

Going through the comments ... Cameron Archibald said, “Carry only if by myself or with fast players and its not busy. Cart otherwise.”

That’s a sentiment shared by skpknight: “I prefer walking to riding, but a couple of my local courses are either very hilly, or long, and you are better off riding. I want a nice lightweight stick bag which I will use when walking, otherwise I will keep my old bag and strap it to the cart.”

I should send skpknight my Nike Golf review.

For Katherine Cornelius, it varies: “Depends on the course and the weather.”

Bryan Atkins said, “Segway all the way!” which spurred Katherine to ask, “Haha ... clubs on your back :-)?”

Bryan Atkins clarified, “Katherine Cornelius - Kierland Golf Club offers this option for golfers in my area! They are actually attached to front of segway. Just have to go through 45 min lesson before heading out!”

I wouldn’t want to spend the 45 minutes training, but I’m sure it’s needed. Once done, I bet the Segway would be a great way to tour a course.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hate articles like this that are incomplete.I personally don't like riding carts, because whoever is driving dictates the pace of play. I like my Golf Skate Caddy, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVPBmD6THRI&feature=youtu.be. You put your clubs on the front and ride it like skateboard/snowboard. It's safer than a Segway and you get a great core workout.

I agree the push/pull cart can be more of a pain then carrying your bag; check out the Caddy Trek robotic golf cart you can set it up to follow you around the golf course at your pace of play.