McIlroy captures the Open Championship with 14 Nike clubs and RZN Black ball in the bag
(BEAVERTON, Ore.) - Nike athlete Rory McIlroy delivered a spectacular performance at The Open Championship to claim the Claret Jug and become the seventh player in history to win the famous trophy in wire-to-wire fashion. McIlroy is an impressive three-quarters of the way to winning the career Grand Slam at the age of 25 – the third youngest player ever to achieve that record.
"The Open is the one that we all want and the one that we all strive for and to be able to hold this Claret Jug is an incredible feeling," said McIlroy in the closing ceremony.
McIlroy dominated the third major championship of the season with massive drives and impressive putting. Using what he has said is the best driver/ball combination he’s ever had – the Nike Covert 2.0 Tour driver and Nike RZN Black ball, he averaged a stunning 328 yards off the tee in breezy conditions – 45 more yards than the field’s average. Among the key highlights of his performance, was his putting, averaging 1.53 putts per hole with his Nike Method 006 putter.
There were two trigger words that helped him throughout the week.
“Process and Spot,” said McIlroy. “Focus on the process, not the results. In putting, focus on the spot.“ He added. "My determination and hard work has really paid off."
The newest product in his bag is a Nike prototype MMPROTO 2-iron, which made its debut at the Scottish Open last week. McIlroy sported apparel from Nike Golf’s Performance Collection and the Nike Lunar Control shoe.
He is the second Nike Golf athlete this year to win a major. Fellow Nike athlete Michelle Wie won the U.S. Women's Open last month.
McIlroy’s Nike Golf Arsenal
* Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Tour 8.5-degree (Kuro Kage XTS 70X)
* Fairway Wood: Nike VRS Covert 3-wood/15-degree
* Irons: Nike MMPROTO (2), Nike VR Pro Blade (3-9)
* Wedges: Nike VR Forged 47-degree, 54-degree and 59-degree
* Putter: Nike Method 006
* Ball: Nike RZN Black
* Apparel: Nike Golf Tour Performance Collection
* Footwear: Nike Lunar Control
Nike Golf’s 2014 PGA Tour Victories
* Russell Henley – Honda Classic
* Seung-Yul Noh – Zurich Classic
* Rory McIlroy – The Open Championship
* Nike Golf’s 2014 International Victories
* Charl Schwartzel – Alfred Dunhill Championship (European Tour)
* Ross Fisher – Tshwane Open (European Tour)
* Rory McIlroy – BMW PGA Championship (European Tour)
* Xin-Jun Zhang– Beijing Open (PGA Tour China)
Nike Golf’s 2014 LPGA Tour Victories
* Michelle Wie – LPGA LOTTE Championship
* Michelle Wie – U.S. Women’s Open
Nike Golf’s 2014 Ladies International Victories
* Cheyenne Woods – Volvic RACV Ladies Masters
For more information on Nike Golf, visit www.nike.com/nikegolf. To follow Nike Golf on Twitter visit www.twitter.com/nikegolf and to become a fan on Facebook go to www.facebook.com/nikegolf. To view Nike Golf videos subscribe at www.youtube.com/nikegolf.