Wie captures her first major championship with 14 Nike clubs and RZN Black ball in the bag
(BEAVERTON, Ore.) – Nike Golf Athlete Michelle Wie powered her way to a two-shot victory at the U.S. Women’s Open, capturing the first major championship of her career at Pinehurst Resort and Country Club. The 24-year-old notched her second LPGA Tour win of the year – and fourth of her career -- with a final score of 2-under-par 278.
“I had a lot of fun today, I woke up so excited. I am just so grateful for the opportunity,” said Wie. “I got a lot of goose bumps walking up to 18. I can’t believe this is happening.”
Wie, who eagled the tenth and birdied the 17th to give her a two-stroke cushion, ranks second in greens in regulation – 79 percent -- on the LPGA Tour with her Nike VR Pro Combo and VR Pro Blade irons. She is fourth in putts per greens in regulation, playing with an adjusted Method 006 putter this week featuring Polymetal Groove technology, which helps to reduce skid and produce a truer roll.
Wie’s Nike RZN Black ball features innovative Speedlock RZN technology, designed to deliver more distance, better feel and a more consistent, stable ball flight into the wind.The win gives Wie eight top-ten finishes this season, moves her from 11th to a projected seventh in the World Rankings, and she now tops the LPGA Tour Official Money List.
Wie sported apparel from Nike’s Tour Performance Women’s collection and the Nike FI Impact shoe.
Wie’s Nike Golf Arsenal
* Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0 9.5-degree (UST Axivcore Red 69X)
* Fairway Wood: Nike VRS Covert Tour 3-wood/13-degree
* Hybrid: Nike VRS Covert 18-degree and 24-degree
* Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo (5-6), VR Pro Blade (7-PW)
* Wedges: Nike VR Pro 52-degree, VR X3X toe sweep 56-degree and 60-degree
* Putter: Nike Method 006
* Ball: Nike RZN Black
* Apparel: Nike Golf Tour Performance Women’s Collection
* Footwear: Nike FI Impact
Nike Golf’s 2014 PGA Tour Victories
• Russell Henley – Honda Classic
• Seung-Yul Noh – Zurich Classic
Nike Golf’s 2014 International Victories
• Charl Schwartzel – Alfred Dunhill Championship (European Tour)
• Ross Fisher – Tshwane Open (European Tour)
• Rory McIlroy – BMW PGA Championship (European Tour)
• Xin-Jun Zhang– Beijing Open (PGA Tour China)
Nike Golf’s 2014 LPGA Tour Victories
• Michelle Wie – LPGA LOTTE Championship
• Michelle Wie – U.S. Women’s Open
Nike Golf’s 2014 Ladies International Victories
• Cheyenne Woods – Volvic RACV Ladies Masters
For more information on Nike Golf, visit www.nike.com/nikegolf. To follow Nike Golf on Twitter visit, www.twitter.com/nikegolf and to become a fan on facebook, go to www.facebook.com/nikegolf. To view Nike Golf videos, subscribe at www.youtube.com/nikegolf.