Saturday, May 25, 2019

Product Review: MLA Golf Target Defender Putter

Over the last few years, my putter and I have been in an abusive relationship. It’ll treat me like garbage – missing makeable putt after makeable putt – but then totally redeem itself by sinking one I have no business making.

When I break down my deficiencies on the greens, it’s not poor speed that’s leading to my issues, and I feel like I’m pretty decent at reading the break. So that leaves alignment to drive me insane. Considering the definition of insanity – doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results – I thought I’d explore the world of MLA Golf and the company’s Target Series.

MLA stands for Multiple Line-detector Activation. How does this alignment technology work?
“We all have internal guides to compare and analyze sensory information that control pace and direction of putts,” the website states. “The MLA putters are designed to take advantage of these guides. MLA Putters worked with Dr. Lennart Högman, Ph.D. Dr. Högman has studied the perceptual process for more than 20 years and has performed studies that have revised the science between the human’s perceptions and the human being’s motor skills.”

“An alignment system that acts upon multiple line detectors is a key to obtain veridical motion perception and a perfect in-line stroke surface,” Högman says.

The brain consists of 100,000 line detectors that are divided into a number of groups that help us decide what is straight, according to MLA. A simple line, for example, activates a group of detectors. When several groups of detectors are activated, these help the brain to make correct judgments.

A typical putter has one target sight, right in the middle. The MLA Target Defender has four points across its top from which to direct data and get you on the right line.

Upon testing – I lined up from 10 feet like I always do and drained the first two putts. I’d love to tell you that I continued to make putts at that perfect pace, but I’d be lying. I can tell you, however, that the alignment aid does work and the sound and feel of the ball off the face is music to my ears and soft as butter.

As for technical specs … The Target Defender comes in a standard 34 inches, but can be ordered in 32, 33, 35 and 36 inches. The head weight is 360 grams (pretty average, but on the higher side) and the loft is 3 degrees (this time average, but on the lower side).

The Target Defender retails for $129 with the standard WINN pistol grip, but options are available at an upcharge.

To watch our unboxing in the Club + Resort Business offices, click HERE.

Log onto www.mla.golf to learn more.

No comments: