Schedule features 25 qualifiers, including four international sites, between May 2-17
(LIBERTY CORNER, N.J.) - The United States Golf Association (USGA) announced sectional qualifying sites for the 73rd U.S. Women’s Open Championship, which will be contested May 31-June 3, 2018 at Shoal Creek in Birmingham, Ala. It will be the first U.S. Women’s Open conducted in Alabama.
“The U.S. Women’s Open is the ultimate test in women’s golf, and sectional qualifying is the first step in that journey,” said Stuart Francis, USGA Championship Committee chairman. “Our partners at allied golf associations throughout the country, as well as several international organizations, play an important role in helping determine a worthy champion. We thank them for their efforts and look forward to the 73rd playing of the U.S. Women’s Open this May.”
Online player registration begins on Wednesday, March 7 at champs.usga.org. The entry deadline is 5 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, April 25.
For the fifth consecutive year, Women’s Open sectional qualifying will be conducted in England, Japan, the People’s Republic of China and the Republic of Korea. Two courses return as international sites: Buckinghamshire Golf Club in Buckinghamshire, England, on May 14, which will host for the fourth consecutive year, and Ohtone Country Club in Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan, on May 8, which also hosted a sectional qualifier in 2016.
Dream Park Country Club in Incheon, the Republic of Korea, and Shanghai Qizhong Garden Golf Club in Shanghai, the People’s Republic of China, will host their first Women’s Open sectional qualifiers on May 14 and May 16, respectively.
Industry Hills Golf Club, near Los Angeles, Calif., will host Women’s Open sectional qualifying for the 10th consecutive year on May 3. The club was also a sectional site in 1980 and 1982. Additionally, Industry Hills’ Eisenhower Course is scheduled to host U.S. Open local qualifying for the 11th consecutive year on May 16. La Purisima Golf Course in Lompoc, Calif., and Ka’anapali Golf Course in Lahaina, Hawaii, will also host both U.S. Women’s Open sectional qualifying and U.S. Open local qualifying.
Two past USGA championship sites will host Women’s Open sectional qualifying: Canoe Brook Country Club in Summit, N.J., on May 2 and Las Colinas Country Club in Irving, Texas, on May 14.
Two U.S. Women’s Open champions advanced through sectional qualifying: Hilary Lunke (2003) and Birdie Kim (2005). Lunke advanced through local and sectional qualifying.
The USGA accepted 1,709 entries for the 2017 U.S. Women’s Open at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J., which was won by Sung Hyun Park of Korea. The record of 1,873 was established for the 2015 championship at Lancaster (Pa.) Country Club.
Considered the world’s premier women’s golf championship, the U.S. Women’s Open is one of 14 national championships conducted annually by the USGA. The championship was first contested in 1946 and its winners include Betsy Rawls (1951, 1953, 1957, 1960), Mickey Wright (1958, 1959, 1961, 1964), Babe Didrikson Zaharias (1948, 1950, 1954), Susie Maxwell Berning (1968, 1972, 1973), Hollis Stacy (1977, 1978, 1984), Annika Sorenstam (1995, 1996, 2006), Juli Inkster (1999, 2002), Karrie Webb (2000, 2001), Inbee Park (2008, 2013), Se Ri Pak (1998), Cristie Kerr (2007), Paula Creamer (2010) and Michelle Wie (2014).
For 2018 Women’s Open information and tickets, visit uswomensopen.com.
2018 U.S. Women’s Open Sectional Qualifying Sites (25)
Wednesday, May 2 (2)
- Canoe Brook Country Club (North Course), Summit, N.J.
- Indiana (Pa.) Country Club
Thursday, May 3 (1)
- Industry Hills Golf Club (Eisenhower Course), City of Industry, Calif.
Friday, May 4 (1)
- Sugar Mill Country Club (White/Red Course), New Smyrna Beach, Fla.
Sunday, May 6 (1)
- Ka’anapali Golf Course (Royal Course), Lahaina, Hawaii
Monday, May 7 (2)
- Dunwoody Country Club, Atlanta, Ga.
- Elgin (Ill.) Country Club
Tuesday, May 8 (2)
- La Purisima Golf Course, Lompoc, Calif.
- Ohtone Country Club, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan
Thursday, May 10 (1)
- Locust Hill Golf Course, Charles Town, W.Va.
Monday, May 14 (11)
- Arizona Country Club, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Contra Costa Country Club, Pleasant Hill, Calif.
- Deerwood Golf Club, Kingwood, Texas
- Hermitage Country Club (Sabot Course), Manakin-Sabot, Va.
- Las Colinas Country Club, Irving, Texas
- Rainier Golf & Country Club, Seattle, Wash.
- Stillwater (Okla.) Country Club
- The Ranch Country Club, Westminster, Colo.
- TPC Prestancia (Stadium Course), Sarasota, Fla.
- Dream Park Country Club, Incheon, the Republic of Korea
- Buckinghamshire Golf Club, Buckinghamshire, England
Tuesday, May 15 (1)
- Bermuda Run (N.C.) Country Club (East Course)
Wednesday, May 16 (2)
- Cape Cod National Golf Club, Brewster, Mass.
- Shanghai Qizhong Garden Golf Club, Shanghai, the People’s Republic of China
Thursday, May 17 (1)
- Seagate Country Club, Delray Beach, Fla.
Sectional qualifying sites and dates are subject to change. For the most up-to-date list, visit champs.usga.org. For more information about the USGA, visit usga.org.