Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Manele Golf Course at Four Season Lana'i is 18 Holes in Paradise

Overlooking to pool and Hulopo'e Bay from the Four Seasons Lana'i lobby
There are luxury brands that I’ve always held in the highest esteem … and that I fear I’ll never experience for myself. For instance, I doubt I’ll ever drive a Lamborghini or dine on Australian Wagyu Sirloin. I’ll never own a Löwchens dog (they can cost around $10,000) or sip from a bottle of Nun's Island Distillery Pure Pot Still Whiskey (there’s a bottle for sale at $140,000).

Until recently, I never imagined myself staying at a Four Seasons Resort, either. That sort of luxury is reserved for the ultra-rich and mega-famous. I was wrong on this count, thankfully.

My family and I were visiting Hawaii and had our trip split between Maui and Oahu. We carved out some time in between for the Four Seasons on the island of Lana’i and could not be happier.

Our day began at the Lahaina Harbor with a 45-minute Expeditions ferry ride to Lana’i. It’s recommended to schedule as early in the day as possible, because the water can get a bit choppy as the day unfolds. Our trip was smooth and uneventful, thankfully. In the winter months, however, a popular activity is whale watching for the duration.

View of Puu Pehe from the Manele Golf Course
Upon our arrival at Manele Harbor, you can’t help but notice Puu Pehe (Sweetheart Rock). This natural landmark rises 80 feet from the ocean and serves as an awe-inspiring welcome to the island.

Once docked, we were greeted by Four Seasons staff members and transported to the resort - about a 5-minute drive. While the island is very small, it is incredibly diverse. From pristine beaches and unbelievable snorkeling, to lush, tropical forests and rugged landscape … this South Pacific oasis has something for everyone.

The Lana'i Cat Sanctuary is a popular day trip on the island. Home to more than 600 cats, it's a unique experience for animal lovers. Sadly, we didn't have time for that this trip.

As you’d expect from a resort that enjoys near-perfect weather, the lobby is wide open and offers glorious views of the ocean. The stroll to our room reveled one “look-at-that” moment after another. One spot stood out beyond the others … the tropical bird cages, which are part of the Rescue Bird Program - a partnership with the Peninsula Humane Society. When KeO KeO, a beautiful, white Cockatoo (?) returned our son’s “aloha,” it made our day! Bruno Amby, the Resort Aviarist, does a wonderful job and can be seen most days by the cages or poolside with a bird or two.

Accommodations

Opening the door to our garden-view room was a memorable experience in and of itself. Our private lanai led into the peace and tranquility of a tropical "rainforest." A walking path took us through flora and fauna, across bridges and over koi ponds.

Back inside the suite, the Little Fella had his own rollaway bed, while my wife and I slept on the most comfortable king-sized bed, with the softest sheets we’ve ever enjoyed.

Allow me to take a timeout at this point to clarify that this is a review, not a paid endorsement. This has - and will continue to - read like an advertisement because this place is really that special. If I come across something negative as I write, I will emphasize it, just to add a little balance.

You might think that an in-room iPad and 75-inch TV would be the highlights of the Four Seasons’ suite, but they’re just side notes. The lighting and temperature control are next-level tech and blinds and/or blackout shades are just button away.

In addition to guest rooms with garden or ocean views, the Four Seasons Lana’i boasts specialty suites, penthouse suites and various floor plans to meet the needs of any guest.
View from the Views restaurant
Dining

My primary reason for this side trip was to play golf, but you can’t do that very well on an empty stomach. We had a lunch reservation at the resort’s clubhouse restaurant Views, which is aptly named as it was perched atop the cliffs overlooking the Pacific. It’s a light menu with several salads, sandwiches and tacos. They also serve cocktails from 3-6 p.m.

If you’re looking for something a little more elegant, check out NOBU LĀNA’I or ONE FORTY. NOBU LĀNA’I features Japanese cuisine - a loaded sushi bar and teppanyaki stations. Not familiar with teppanyaki stations? Picture those restaurants where you’re gathered around a U-shaped table and the chef puts on a show while he’s cooking. The ONE FORTY name is derived from the island's 140 square mile radius (a medium steak is grilled to perfection at 140 degrees, as well). In addition to prime and wagyu beef from Snake River Farms (Idaho), ONE FORTY serves up locally caught seafood and boasts an extensive wine list.

For poolside dining, there’s Malibu Farm - a farm-to-table spot overlooking Hulopoʻe Bay.. Those looking for a quick-and-easy breakfast (coffee, pastries, etc.) can grab-and-go from Kope, which is located inside the sports bar. The resort offers 24-hour in-room dining, as well. We enjoyed an incredible breakfast on our lanai before leaving.

Speaking of poolside … While I was on the golf course, the resort staff offered guests complimentary mango Popsicles to cool off on a hot day. It would be easy to say that level of service should be expected when staying at such a posh resort, but it was really an extremely nice touch and greatly appreciated.
Par 3 12th plays 202 yards from the tips
Golf

As a lifelong golf nut and national course rater, I was really looking forward to playing Manele Golf Course. I was not disappointed. The par-72 course (slope 135, rating 73.7) was designed by Jack Nicklaus and opened in 1993. Stretching to a little more than 7,000 yards from the tips, Manele was built on lava outcroppings and has views of the ocean from all 18 holes. I repeat … Views of the ocean from ALL 18 holes. Amazing.
DO NOT overcook a fade on No. 17 at Manele
This course is loaded with beautiful holes, but the three cliff-hangers that play along the Pacific Ocean (12, 13 and 17) really stand out. As the waves crash below you, I dare any golfer to fully concentrate on the task at hand. For the record, I completed the trio in even par (par, birdie, bogey).
My lone birdie came at Manele's No. 13 - a 345-yard par 4
With four sets of tees ranging from 5,024 to 7,039 yards, Manele is playable for just about any golfer. There are a few forced carries that would make beginners shake in their golf shoes, but playing the right tee alleviates most concerns.

More than anything, playing Manele is an experience. You know you’re in for something special when you’re hitting balls on the range. From there, the course leads you through four hours of pure bliss - culminating in the aforementioned 17th hole overlooking Kaluakoi Point and Huawai Bay.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the treat at the turn. My natural inclination is to pass through the transition from the ninth green to the 10th tee - spurning snacks and diet sodas. I’m so glad they flagged me down, however, to hand me a delicious raspberry lemonade. It was equal parts amazing and refreshing.

Over the last few years, I’ve devolved into a 15-hole player - meaning I’m generally mentally and physically wiped out with two or three holes remaining. That wasn’t the case at Manele, thankfully. As I walked off the 18th green, I was wanting more. Then again, I was more than happy to join my wife and son in the pool and enjoy everything else the Four Seasons Lana’i had to offer.

Looking back at what I’ve written, I know I failed miserably at finding something negative to share. It was really that kind of a visit … perfect. I suppose if I had to say something negative, it’s that we couldn’t stay at the resort forever.

Log onto the Four Seasons Lana’i website to learn more and plan your visit.

PHOTO GALLERY




Have you had a better view from a driving range?
Take heed ... I did NOT enter

No comments: