Monday, March 21, 2016

Getting to Know: Herb McNally - Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Photographer

American Golfer: Can you explain what you do in the golf industry?
Herb McNally: Primarily I am a designer. I do a lot of work with logos, graphics, photography and illustration. I take pride in working with independent golf companies and being able to provide them with designs that rival what they would get from an agency or firm. I can give them the same quality of work at a fraction of the cost, with a much higher level of personal service, and in a fraction of the time.
Since working in the industry, and developing a social media following, I have been able to have some fun doing other things like running contests and giveaways to promote a business or celebrate a particular event.
The thing that I am most proud of is my growing ability to help out with charities and give to people who need it with the help of people like 18 FORE Life.

AG: Do any of the logos you’ve designed stand out in your mind?
HM: There are so many now, but yes, there are definitely favorites. I do my best to work with a client so we get to a point where we are both happy. The design is what they want, and I feel it is a professional piece that represents us both well. Of course there are times where I am not completely happy, but the client’s wants and needs always have to come first.
I think some of my favorite logos would have to be Gumboux Golf, BIGG’s Golf Talk and the new Buzelli Putters brand logo.

AG: What’s your favorite thing about being in the golf business?
HM: The people, by far, are the best thing about the golf business. Sure there are bad ones here and there, but they are few and far between. The Golf Family is real. I have met so many wonderful people that I now consider to be close friends. Traveling around the country to play golf with people that I have never met before is just amazing. I invited people to my wedding that I had never met in person before. They showed up and were part of an amazing day. They are family. Some of these people are the greatest friends that I have and McNally22 wouldn’t exist without them.

AG: You’re working on a Par 3 scramble. What are the details?
HM: This event is going to be amazing, and it is very dear to me. I have been doing work for 18 FORE Life for the past few years. I have always thought about how great it would be to hold a fun charity even at a pitch n’ putt course - an event in which ANYBODY can play, no matter what their skill level. You don’t even need a set of clubs, just a wedge and a putter.
18 FORE Life does amazing things for folks battling cancer in their community of Southeast Missouri. They have raised over $1.7 million over the years and have given that money directly to those people to help them with whatever they need during their battle.
A year ago, my sister-in-law began her battle with breast cancer and it was time for me to do what I could do to bring this all together. I couldn’t be more proud that 18 FORE Life agreed to let me bring their mission to Central Pennsylvania. Then Skramble Clothing said that they would also be part of the event as a sponsor and sell shirts to help the cause.
It is going to be a day of golf, fun and charity. We are holding a 2-man scramble event at Beaver Bend Golf Course in Hummelstown, Pennsylvania on April 23. This will be the inaugural event, and I plan to keep it running as long as I can. Every dollar we raise will be going directly to people battling cancer in Central Pennsylvania.
More information is posted here, on McNally22.com.

AG: When did you start playing golf?
HM: I have played golf from time to time ever since I was in high school, but no more than a few rounds a year. About 6 years ago it became my No. 1 hobby. I had been playing music in punk bands for years. One day, I just got tired of that life and was looking for something new. I sold my guitars and amps and bought golf clubs. Before I knew it, I was getting up every weekend to play golf around the same time I would have normally been getting home from long nights at the bar after shows. It has turned out to be one of the best life decisions I have made.

AG: What’s your “dream foursome” (living or dead, golfer or non-golfer)?
HM: That is such a tough question. Arnold Palmer, Bobby Jones, Payne Stewart, Harvey Penick ... I could go on and on and never make up my mind when considering those options.
One definite would be my wife, Courtney. She is by far the best playing partner I could ask for. I am a very lucky man to have a woman that loves the games as much as I do.
As for the rest of the foursome, I am going to go with ‘fictitious’ and say Ty Webb and Carl Spackler.

AG: What course tops your “bucket list” to play?
HM: Augusta National Par 3. May seem like a strange answer, but I love the short game. The feeling of ‘sticking one close’ will always top the ‘fairway bomb’ in my opinion.

AG: What does the future hold for Mc22?
HM: I just hope to continue to grow my business and my golf family. I love what I do, and I love the people I work with. I want people to see my brand and immediately think to themselves “That is a good guy with serious talent that does a lot of good things for people.” Yes, I want people to come to me because they love the work that I do, but more importantly I want them to come to me because I am a person that they want to work with.

Check out more of Herb's work at www.McNally22.com.

No comments: