Thursday, July 16, 2026

Golf's Greatest Shots: Tom Watson at Pebble Beach

Was Tom Watson's chip on the 17th hole at Pebble Beach the greatest shot in the history of golf?

Golf has produced no shortage of unforgettable moments, but few can rival what Tom Watson did on the 17th hole at Pebble Beach during the 1982 U.S. Open. Forty-plus years later, the debate still rages. Was it the greatest shot ever played?

The circumstances certainly make a compelling case.

Watson arrived at Pebble Beach as the dominant player of his era, having been named PGA Tour Player of the Year four times in the previous five seasons. Yet he entered America's national championship in the worst form he could remember. His swing had deserted him, his confidence was shaken, and the timing couldn't have been worse.

Ironically, those struggles may have been exactly what allowed him to win.

Rather than spending the week searching for a perfect golf swing, Watson accepted reality. He knew he would miss greens, so he devoted much of his practice time to chips and pitch shots around Pebble Beach's famously sloping putting surfaces.

That preparation paid off on Sunday.

Watson defeated Jack Nicklaus by two shots, but the championship is forever defined by one extraordinary moment.

Standing on the par-3 17th hole tied with Nicklaus, Watson missed the green left with his 2-iron. His ball settled in thick rough above a green that fell sharply away toward the hole. It was a terrifying chip shot under ordinary circumstances. With the U.S. Open hanging in the balance, it seemed nearly impossible.

Watching from the scoring trailer, Nicklaus believed Watson's title hopes were slipping away.

Watson's longtime caddie, Bruce Edwards, offered the obvious advice.

"Get it close."

Watson wasn't interested in playing safe.

"I'm not going to get it close," he replied. "I'm going to make it."

Moments later, he did exactly that.

His delicate chip floated onto the green, gathered speed as it rolled down the slope, struck the flagstick and disappeared into the cup for birdie. Watson erupted in celebration, sprinting around the green before pointing at Edwards with a grin.

"Told you so."

It remains one of golf's most iconic celebrations because almost no one believed the shot was possible.

Watson still had work to do. A birdie on the 18th hole completed a final-round 70, giving him a 6-under-par total of 282 and a two-shot victory over Nicklaus, who had mounted one of the greatest Sunday charges in major championship history with five consecutive birdies during his closing 69.

Those who witnessed the shot firsthand still struggle to explain it.

Playing partner Bill Rogers estimated Watson could hit that chip 100 times and never hole it again.

"A thousand times," Nicklaus countered.

The remarkable part is Watson wasn't surprised.

"I didn't think I had a chance in a million to do well," Watson later admitted. "I was swinging awful. I was hitting it sideways, and I wasn't even chipping all that well. My putting was about the only thing I could rely on."

Knowing his swing couldn't be trusted, Watson leaned into the one part of his game that still gave him confidence.

"I already figured that I was going to miss a lot of greens, so I spent almost all my time practicing chips and pitch shots," he said. "I hit a lot of shots from the downslopes with lies just like the one I had on Sunday at 17. I practiced that a lot, and I have to credit that to the shot I chipped in."

Preparation, not luck, made the difference.

Watson spent the first two rounds simply surviving. He battled his swing to even-par 72s on both Thursday and Friday, repeatedly salvaging rounds with late birdies. After the second round, he finally discovered the flaw that had plagued him.

By keeping his arms and body more connected on the backswing, everything clicked.

"I've got it," he told Edwards.

Those were the three words every caddie wanted to hear.

With his swing restored, Watson fired a third-round 68 to move into the final pairing. On Sunday, he missed only one fairway, managed his game brilliantly, and set the stage for one of golf's defining finishes.

The moment also carried a sense of history.

Ten years earlier, Nicklaus had effectively won the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach with a memorable birdie on the same 17th hole after his approach struck the flagstick.

Watson answered with an even more improbable shot.

It wasn't the first time he'd broken Nicklaus' heart on the penultimate hole of a major. Watson birdied the 17th at Augusta National during the 1977 Masters to seize control, then did it again at Turnberry in the unforgettable "Duel in the Sun" at the 1977 Open Championship.

Pebble Beach completed the trilogy.

"That shot at 17 meant more to me than any golf shot I ever made," Watson said afterward.

Decades later, he hasn't changed his mind.

Of his eight major championships—including five Open Championships—the 1982 U.S. Open remains the one he treasures most.

"Honestly, the U.S. Open was the one tournament I wanted to win the most," Watson said. "It's our National Open. I live in this country, and I am an American citizen, born here, so it naturally meant just a little bit more to me."

That perspective was shaped years earlier by a conversation with Sam Snead, who never won the U.S. Open despite capturing 82 PGA Tour titles.

Snead told Watson he never got over his heartbreaking collapse in the 1939 championship.

"I fully understood what Sam was telling me," Watson said. "It does mean that much if you're an American golfer."

Perhaps that's why Watson's chip at Pebble Beach still resonates.

It wasn't just a spectacular shot. It came with the U.S. Open on the line, against Jack Nicklaus, after a week spent fighting his swing and reinventing his game.

Great shots are often remembered because of their difficulty.

This one is remembered because it changed history.

No comments: