Four-county Northeastern Pennsylvania Golf Destination Features Classic and Modern Golf Courses, Fine Dining, Spas, Much More(POCONO MOUNTAINS, Pennsylvania) – With spring in the air, golf courses across the Pocono Mountains have begun welcoming golfers for the 2009 season. Many facilities have already opened their fairways, while others are applying the finishing touches to prepare for a busy year.
“Spring is a very exciting time here in the Pocono Mountains and avid golfers have been anxiously awaiting another action-packed golf season,” says Carl Wilgus, President and CEO of the Pocono Mountains Visitors Bureau. “From classic courses to modern gems, we take great pride in knowing this destination offers something for every taste.”
Opening dates of the Pocono Mountains courses for the 2009 season are contingent on weather. Please call individual courses for specific information:
* Cherry Valley Golf Course: Open; 570-421-1350
* Country Club at Woodloch Springs: Open; 570-685-8102
* Hideaway Hills Golf Club: Open; 610-681-6000
* Jack Frost National: Open; 866-268-5503
* Mountain Laurel Golf Club: Open; 570-443-7424
* Red Maple: Open; 570-937-4543
* Skytop Lodge: Open (First 9 holes) 570-595-8910
* Water Gap Country Club: Open; 570-476-0300
* Evergreen Golf Club: Open; 570-421-7721
* Glen Brook Golf Club: Open; 570-421-3680
* Mountain Manor Golf Club: Open; 570-223-1290
* Shawnee Inn & Golf Resort: Open; 570-424-4000
* Buck Hill Golf Club: Early April; 570-595-7730
* Country Club of the Poconos: April 1; 570-223-8099
* Fernwood Hotel & Resort: April 3; 570-588-9500
* Lake Naomi Club: April 3; 570-646-9191
* Split Rock Resort & Golf Club: April 3; 570-722-9111
* Inn at Pocono Manor: First weekend in April; 570-839-7111
* Pocono Palace Golf Course: Mid-April; 570-588-6692
* Tamiment Golf Club: April 15; 570-588-6652
* Mount Airy Casino Resort Golf Club: Late April; 877-532-0345
Courses throughout the Pocono Mountains are offering value-laden packages and early-season rates as the golf season opens. A complete list of Pocono Mountains golf courses and links to individual Web sites can be found at www.poconosgolf.com.
The Pocono Mountains: Discover Golf’s Great Destination Secret, offers layouts from the Golden Age of golf course design to expansive tracks from well-respected contemporary architects. From A.W. Tillinghast and Donald Ross to the Golden Bear, Jack Nicklaus, the best in the business have lent their genius to this mountain oasis. Championship courses that challenge the best golfer to alternatives that are both economical and less imposing for the beginner, await the traveling golfer.
Combined with the close proximity of New York City, Philadelphia and New Jersey, the Pocono Mountains have increased in popularity over recent seasons. Due in large part to the economy, golfers are electing to remain closer to home rather than incur the rising travel costs and overcrowded fairways at other destinations. Instead of checking extra luggage, boarding planes and waiting in lines, smart golfers are making the short, scenic drive and teeing off on one of the conveniently located Pocono Mountains courses.
For more information on the area, visit www.800poconos.com or call 800-POCONOS (800-762-6667).