Monday, November 16, 2015

Product Review: Monsta Golf Balls

For me, much of my early golf life was spent buying balls like I chose which tees I’d be playing ... one in from the tips. Every company made a premium ball and then had less-expensive options available from there. My game was better than their entry-level option, but I couldn’t justify dropping top dollar on something that I was inevitably going to lose.

Monsta in play at The Oaks (MS)
My game improved, as did my finances. I began buying the top-shelf balls because 1) I could afford them, and 2) I wasn’t losing many.

Understanding that the high-priced options weren’t/aren’t necessarily the best ball for everyone’s game, I continued to gravitate toward one premium ball. Not sure if it was performance or the mental crutch it provided, but it was hard to kick.

Then something wonderful happened ... the independent golf movement was blossoming. Enter Monsta Golf - a premium ball without the premium price. The brainchild of a couple guys from Boston, Monsta Golf was all over social media, so I had to try it out for myself.

I took a media trip to Mississippi with two dozen golf balls in my bag - my go-to ball and Monsta. How much did I like Monsta? After a couple practice rounds at Shell Landing and The Oaks, my go-to ball stayed in the hotel room, while I put Monsta Golf in play at the Sanderson Farms Championship Pro-Am at the Country Club of Jackson.

The sign - Why I lost one of my Monsta balls
Monsta Golf was long and straight and, most importantly, gave me the feel I want within 100 yards. It was so straight, in fact, that I only lost two balls in 54 holes. One hit a tree directly in front of me and ricochetted into the rough just out of play. Considering there are signs warning about poisonous snakes (right), I thought it was a wise move to let that one go. The other one came off of a ridiculously bad swing that resulted in a topped shot. Embarrassed and playing in a shamble, I moved to a better tee shot.

Check out Monsta Golf online at www.monstagolf.com, on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. If you’re in the market for a new ball, pick up a sleeve ($9.99) to test, or buy a dozen - boxed ($34.99) or naked ($32.99).

This is a tour-quality ball at direct-to-consumer pricing. The company doesn’t pay for fancy advertising and you won’t find the balls in big-box stores because they’ve cut out the middle man. Those savings are passed onto the golfing public.

No comments: