Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Getting to Know: Cathy Kim, PGA, Teaching Professional at 1757 Golf Club

American Golfer: Why did you choose a career in the golf industry?
Cathy Kim: I chose to be a golf coach because I loved seeing how golf brought people together.

Cathy Kim, PGA
AG: Describe a typical day in your role as golf instructor at 1757 Golf Club.
CK: I give private lessons, group lessons and help plan events to grow the game. I also record and produce tip videos for my social media platforms.

AG: What’s your favorite thing about teaching?
CK: Everyone learns and swings in their own way but the commonality between all players is the moment that they make the connection and produce the results they want. My favorite thing about teaching is problem solving to ensure my students are digesting the information.

AG: In your online bio, you list "diversify the game and make it an equal access sport for everyone to enjoy" as one of your personal missions. How are you doing this?
CK: I believe that golf should be introduced and played by anyone who wants to try it. At 1757, I offer women's only, classes for the corporate woman, girls only and Korean speaking Get Golf Ready classes to help grow the game.  I use my Instagram, Facebook and YouTube accounts to post free instructional information as well as offer ideas on how to utilize the sport.

AG: How can golf be used as a business tool for professionals to help further their career?
CK: If you learn how to golf, the opportunities to join an important foursome on the course for 4 hours will arise. Whether you are trying get quality time with your bosses or wanting to host a client, what better way to do it than being outdoors with them for half of your work day?

AG: How has being a TPI Fitness Professional helped in your teaching?
CK: TPI has helped me spot weaknesses from a physical standpoint. It has enabled me to spot the cause and effect of a student’s swing flaws.

AG: How can the industry grow the game of golf?
CK: The industry has been doing an amazing job at growing the game. I think it is the lack of retention is where we are missing the boat.

AG: What’s the most common mistake amateur golfers make on the course?
CK: Amateur golfers typically do not stretch or warm up before a round. A small bucket of balls is merely a warm up which is why the first few holes are typically throwaway holes. Make sure to get your body warmed up long before your round by getting a small workout in or at least a longer stretching regimen.

AG: What’s your “dream foursome” (living or dead, golfer or non-golfer)?
CK: Bill Murray, Brian Baumgartner, Annika Sörenstam

AG: What course tops your “bucket list” to play?
CK: Pebble Beach!

Learn more about Cathy Kim at www.1757golfclub.com.

No comments: