Monday, May 2, 2016

Book Review: 18 Holes with Bing: Golf, Life, and Lessons from Dad

My earliest recollection of playing golf comes from my grandfather’s backyard. He’d practice his chipping and putting on the low-mowed lawn, while I’d swing away at plastic balls with oversized plastic clubs. An accomplished local player, Mike Halas taught me to love and respect the game.

On a different level of fame, Nathaniel Crosby learned to love the game of golf from his father, Bing Crosby. In a book authored with John Strege, Nathaniel shares 18 anecdotes from a lifetime on and off the course. The finished product, “18 Holes with Bing: Golf, Life, and Lessons from Dad,” is sure to rekindle memories from your childhood - whether your role model ignited your passion for golf or any other aspect of life.

My favorite chapter was titled “Winning for Dad.” It takes the reader through Nathaniel’s 1981 U.S. Amateur victory at the Olympic Club. He had leaned heavily on his father’s memory (Bing died in 1977) throughout the tournament and even admitted to having issues hitting shots when his shadow was over the ball - my biggest psychological issue.

Down four with 10 holes to play, Nathaniel fought back and won in sudden death, relying on some “divine intervention” in the process. Not sure that sort of spiritual help is common from the living, but I credit my grandfather for the first time I broke 40. He was in the hospital following what would prove to be his final heart attack. Knowing that he may have only days to live, I had him on my mind from the first tee shot to the final putt. While my temper at the time generally derailed the potential of a good round, I felt a calming presence that day.

Nathaniel’s father was a worldwide icon and he, himself, was a very accomplished golfer. While you may not be able to relate to the Crosbys and their famous friends, I defy anyone to get through this book without having wonderful and cherished memories unearthed. I wish my grandfather was around to enjoy “18 Holes with Bing” as much as I did.

Nathaniel dedicated the book: “To my kids, in hopes they will continue the legacy of one-on-one parenting and the pursuit of generational friendships that began with my dad.” I will certainly share the stories of my grandfather with my son in hopes that he will see how special those moments were for me, as well as the moments I get to share with him today.

Order a copy from Harper Collins Publishers HERE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Enjoyed this article very much since it brought back memories for me also of both Bing and my stepfather. Positive role models and great memories are the fabric of life.