(Scottsdale, Ariz.) – Troon, the leader in golf course management, development, and marketing, recently had 35 of its affiliated courses named to Golfweek’s “Best Courses” rankings for 2017.
Seventeen Troon-affiliated golf courses are represented on the “Best 200 Resort Courses” list, led by Kapalua’s Plantation Course on Maui at No. 13. Pronghorn’s Nicklaus Course in Bend, Oregon is No. 39 and Princeville Makai Golf Club on Kauai is ranked No. 72 in the nation. Three Arizona facilities placed in the 80s, with Troon North Golf Club’s Monument and Pinnacle Courses placing No. 80 and 81 respectively, and Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa at No. 87.
Thirteen Troon-managed facilities are included in the “Best 200 Residential Courses,” led by Pronghorn’s Fazio Course in Bend at No. 11 and The Golf Club at Black Rock in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, which is ranked No. 44 in the country.
Five of Troon’s facilities are also ranked in the “Best 50 Courses of the Caribbean and Mexico,” including Port Royal Golf Club in Southhampton, Bermuda at No. 24, Santa Maria Golf & Country Club in Panama City, Panama at No. 29, Bahia Beach Resort & Golf Club in Puerto Rico at No. 36, Ocean Club in the Bahamas at No. 44 and Palmilla Golf Club in Los Cabos, Mexico at No. 47.
The 35 Troon-managed or affiliated courses that received recognition by Golfweek include:
Best 100 Resort Courses
- No. 13 Kapalua – (Plantation) – Maui, Hawaii
- No. 39 Pronghorn – (Nicklaus) – Bend, Ore.
- No. 72 Princeville Makai Golf Club – Kauai, Hawaii
- No. 78 Camp Creek Golf Club – Panama City Beach, Florida
- No. 80 Troon North Golf Club – (Monument) – Scottsdale, Ariz.
- No. 81 Troon North Golf Club – (Pinnacle) – Scottsdale, Ariz.
- No. 87 Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club – Maricopa, Ariz.
- No. 90 Lake of Isles – (North) – North Stonington, Conn.
Next Best 100 Resort Courses
- No. 107 La Cantera Resort & Spa – (Palmer) – San Antonio, Texas
- No. 127 Boulders Resort & Spa – (North) – Carefree, Ariz.
- No. 135 Kapalua – (Bay) – Maui, Hawaii
- No. 137 Silverado Resort and Spa – (North) – Napa, Calif.
- No. 150 Park Hyatt Aviara Golf Club – Carlsbad, Calif.
- No. 164 Boulders Resort & Spa – (South) – Carefree, Ariz.
- No. 180 The Golf Club at Equinox – Manchester, Vt.
- No. 182 The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa – (Ridge/Canyon) – Tucson, Ariz.
- No. 184 Yocha DeHe Golf Club at Cache Creek Casino Resort – Brooks, Calif.
Best Residential Courses
- No. 11 Pronghorn – (Fazio) – Bend, Ore.
- No. 44 The Golf Club at Black Rock – Coeur d’Alene, Idaho
- No. 61 Quintero Golf Club – Peoria, Ariz.
- No. 78 Troon Country Club – Scottsdale, Ariz.
- No. 85 Red Ledges Golf Club – Heber City, Utah
- No. 95 Powder Horn Golf Club – Sheridan, Wyo.
- No. 96 Pine Canyon Club – Flagstaff, Ariz.
Next Best 100 Residential Courses
- No. 140 Troon North Golf Club – (Monument) – Scottsdale, Ariz.
- No. 170 The Peninsula Golf & Country Club – Millsboro, Del.
- No. 178 Conestoga Golf Club – Mesquite, Nev.
- No. 181 Shark’s Tooth Golf Club – Lake Powell, Fla.
- No. 190 Winchester Country Club – Meadow Vista, Calif.
- No. 197 Tennessee National Golf Club – Loundon, Tenn.
Top 50 Best of the Caribbean and Mexico
- No. 24 Port Royal Golf Club – Southhampton, Bermuda
- No. 29 Santa Maria Golf & Country Club – Panama City, Panama
- No. 36 Bahia Beach Resort & Golf Club – Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
- No. 44 Ocean Club – Paradise Island, Bahamas
- No. 47 Palmilla Golf Club – (Mountain and Arroyo) – Los Cabos, Mexico
Among the criteria used by Golfweek’s panel of course raters include:
- Ease and intimacy of routing – The extent to which the sequence of holes follows natural contours and unfolds in an unforced manner.
- Variety and memorability of par 3s, 4s and 5s – Different clubs hit; extent to which the angles of play create interesting and varied playing options; and extent to which holes offer variety of options from the tee and on the second shot.
- Basic quality of conditioning – Variety of playing textures; extent of turf coverage; consistency and quality of bunker sand.
- “Walk in the park” test – Degree to which the course ultimately is worth spending a half-day on.
For additional news and information, visit www.Troon.com.